Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Some Changes

For over a year now I have been waiting to get sick. I am often left frustrated when I find my MELD score hasn't moved at all when I get my labs drawn. As I have said before, these numbers will ultimately determine my placement on The List.
Today (yesterday) I sent an e-mail to my transplant coordinator asking about a lab test they wanted done to check my kidney functions. I got an e-mail back telling me to just go get my labs drawn. So I did that. I received another e-mail in the evening telling me my kidneys functions were okay and that my MELD was at 13.
It seems odd that after so long things are beginning to change. Knowing that my numbers have started to move is almost too hard for me fathom after all this time. And even though they've only crept up a little; from an 11 to 13, it shows that something is starting to happen. Once again I find myself torn between two directions. A part of me wants to stay suspended, while another wants to go forward. But I guess I don't really have any control over that. I am still doing well for now. That counts for a lot.

6 comments:

  1. I always find it scary to have tests done these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laoch, Yes, very nerve racking.

    *Mary*, Yes it does. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I've been MIA for over a month and missed reading your blog.

    The MELD score is a double-edged sword, is it not? In the hopes of getting better, you need to get worse. On the one hand you don't want to get sicker, but on the other hand, you know you need to if you want a new liver. This is the only disease I know of that has people praying to get sicker.

    Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have mixed feelings on the MELD score. It seems so bad that some people get sicker than others and if their numbers don't move nothing can be done. But I guess that's just me.
    I read your wife's blog the other day. I liked it. She seems like a lovely lady. Take care...I'm unplugged for a couple of days. Going to the mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have mixed feelings on the MELD score. It seems so bad that some people get sicker than others and if their numbers don't move nothing can be done. But I guess that's just me.
    I read your wife's blog the other day. I liked it. She seems like a lovely lady. Take care...I'm unplugged for a couple of days. Going to the mountains.

    ReplyDelete