Sunday, April 26, 2009

It Dropped Like a Rock

This has been a horrible week. The new meds I am taking are leaving me incredibly tired and I keep waking up with the residue of a terrible hangover and headaches in the morning. On Friday afternoon while at work I wasn't feeling so good so I decided to take a break. I sat down at my computer to do some other work I had and I started feeling extremely tired. My head must have been bouncing up and down like a bobblehead doll as I jerked to stay awake. Finally I decided to move around the plant and go see what everyone else was up to. That was a mistake. As I started moving around I realized what I really needed was to sit down. I suddenly had the chills and I was freezing to death. When I got back to my department I turned on my heater and huddled in front of it for ten minutes. My arms were tingling and they felt like they were going numb. At some point I figured out that none of it was normal and I kept waiting for it to subside. I kept checking for a pulse but I couldn't find one. And then I suddenly got really hungry and started eating my lunch as fast as I could. I was barely catching my breath before I started shoveling something else down.
I have never had something like this happen before so I wasn't sure what was going on. Plus I think I was a little confused during the whole episode. I have a key to the first responder medicine cabinet which is located in my department. Instead of grabbing the electronic Mabis blood pressure cuff and checking my vitals, I only thought about checking my vitals. Instead of calling Kris from upstairs (our first responder), I only thought about calling Kris. I knew better, but I wasn't reacting with my better judgment. Eventually it ended as quickly as it had started. It lasted about 40 minutes. It took me most of the afternoon to bounce back before I felt okay. I called my transplant coordinator later and explained to her what happened and she sounded a little dumbfounded. None of the new drugs I am on should have triggered my circulation to drop like it did. The response was to just keep an eye on it. Another thought was to knock back my beta blocker in dosage. But this is something I am not at all comfortable with since portal hypertension was one of the main reasons I started taking the beta blocker. It was also what landed me in the hospital in the first place.


  1. Ugh. Scary.

    I hope you do better this week.

  2. Oh my goodness, that is scary. Next time- If that happens (which of course I hope not) PLEASE let someone know so they can help!
    I hope you start feeling better soon.