Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Sorry I've been so slow to update

As you can see, updating someone else's blog is not my forte. I've been swamped. And, frankly, there hasn't been much to report. That, in a way, is good news.
Beaux continues to heal slowly. He's still plagued by soreness in his abdomen. I can't say anyone's surprised, given the magnitude of the incision. And the transplant coordinator said when they got in there, the surgeons found a lot of scar tissue that had to be dealt with from a bicycle accident and subsequent surgery when he was a little boy. The handlebar perforated his small bowel and apparently the scars from that clean-up operation left their mark. That's part of why he's hurting; it was more extensive cutting than one might have expected even from a wildly invasive operation like a liver transplant.
But the liver itself is wonderful. Works beautifully and we are so pleased.
They have reduced his anti-rejection meds to the stage where the tremors are much less of an issue. One side effect of all the drugs, though, has been quite odd. By evening, he's got a waxy glow about him. His oil glands are going nuts, so he's now on prescription to slow that down a bit.
I'll update again, soon. And I promise if something arises, I'll post right away. In this case, no news really is good news.
Lo

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update. So sorry to hear about Beaux's ongoing pain. Recovery is difficult enough without that kind of pain or over-active oil ducts and who knows what else. Wishing you the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad the healing the progresing slowly but surely. Hopefully this month will bring good tidings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lo- We appreciate you taking the time to fill us in. Love to you and your family - and big gentle hug for Beaux!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lois, My husband and I are both thrilled to read the wonderful news of Beaux's transplant. Eric got has liver transplant on 3/14/10. It is so overwhelming to say the least, but such a huge blessing, and an answered prayer. Please keep us updated as you can and extend our well wishes to him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just checking in to see if there is any new news about Beaux. It sounds like he is recovering as well as can be expected after going through what he has gone through! Having had 4 C-sections, I can definitely understand the pain of abdominal incisions and scar tissue, so I know that Beaux must be in a huge amount of pain just from that alone. There are still days when the scar tissue causes me pain and my youngest baby is 18 now! I am looking forward to the day when Beaux can be back at home with you and the girls. This has to be very difficult for all of you but also, quite a blessing. Hang in there, and please send Beaux my best. I am holding you all very close in my prayers.

    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, so apparently I missed the post where Beaux came home! Please forgive me, LOL. Things around here have been a bit topsy-turvy and I have not caught up on the posts that I missed!

    More hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete