Thursday, August 13, 2009

'm bck!

Well, for those of you that follow this blog, you may have noticed that I have had very little to post these days. I am pretty sure that I can attribute most of this to my state of mind. My attention span has really been wandering lately. I've written a few posts, but I haven't found anything I thought worthy of posting. Everything sits in my draft pile and that is as far as they've gone.
I went to see one of my clinic hepatologists for my 6-month check up and after a short review of me and my health he put me on yet another round of medication that I have to take 4 times a day. I am taking an antibiotic to rid myself of dirty poison gathering in my stomach. After my health assessment and talking with Lois and me, the doctor indicated that I was probably experiencing encephalopathy again and that the lactulose wasn't quite doing everything they need it to do. Lois and I were already in full agreement with this diagnosis even before we went to the appointment. We have noticed a big change in my attitude in the past few weeks. When the encephalopathy hits I get real ill-tempered and ornery. It can be very unbecoming.
The ammonia level on my last labs was at 50. The normal range is between 9 - 33. Three months ago I was at 37. I already knew things were not in my favor. Part of the liver process is that a healthy liver will break down and expel poisonous toxins from your body and you will either excrete them by sweating and going to the bathroom. In my case, I have to take many doses of Lactulose to rid myself of the ammonia gathering in my body. If you are living with an unhealthy liver, then the build up of ammonia in the body can make its way to your brain and cause mental confusion, which can cause the night and day reversal effects which often plague me. Severe encephalopathy can even put you in a coma and you can die. In my case, I can often be tempermental. As far as the confusion goes, I have experienced this as well. I will have to think about what I was just doing or about to do. I'll start out talking and then forget what I was talking about. These things bug the heck out of me because nobody wants to lose control. Every so often I will miss taking some of my meds. This irritates me as well because I don't want to count on someone else to take care of these things for me. I am usually very good with my daily regimen, but I sometimes forget about my night doses and Lois will ask me if I've taken them. I know that I'm in trouble when she starts asking if I've taken the Lactulose because that usually means I've been acting like a jerk.
While all these things have been going on, my mood has been somewhat depressed. I don't like this at all because it is a place I'm somewhat familiar with and that scares me. I am really trying with all my might to stay away from the big D.
And I have also noticed bits and pieces of confusion in my writing. I have been writing sentences like this: Today as I passed by a Hot Topic I decided to go inside and do some sightseeing because I thought it might be fun. I noticed that every single person in the store had a piercing either in their ear, nose, eye or navel. Most of them had more than one. That was just with their clothes on. The gal at the register had at least 8 piercings in her left ear and the other guy there had those holes in his ears that were so big you could stick your finger through them. Yikes.
Now, there is nothing wrong with this. But when I type it out some words don't always come out and everything in red disappears: Today as pass by a Hot Topic I ecide to go inside and do soe sightsee because I thought it might fun. I iced that every single pers in the ore had a pierc either in their ear, nose, eye navel. ost more than one. That was just with clothes. The gal at reg had east 8 in left ear and the other there had hose holes in ears big could stick our finger them. Yikes.
YEAH! That's what I thought. WTH? So this is part of the reason why I haven't been posting. Because I sound like a blithering idiot sometimes.

(Translated that says) Be cause I like blither some.

ave a ood day.

4 comments:

  1. Glad to hear from you! I don't know- that new blogging style just might catch on. You could be a pioneer. Burroughs had the cut/paste method; this can be your Blither Technique.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating post! I hadn't been by in a while - life is so busy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,,,I just wanted you to know that the same thing was happening to me in regards to the symptoms of encephalopathy and typing. That was one of the first things I noticed. I am a very good typist and am on my computer A LOT...daily.

    Guess what. With my new liver I am again a slick typist! It will happen to you too...all those symptoms will go away. I want you to know you will feel good...great!

    All the best to you!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy,
    It drives me crazy sometimes and it seems to take me forever when I am trying to write something. It is mostly just irritating.
    :-}

    ReplyDelete